Furthur Needs To Rehearse

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Furthur Needs To Rehearse
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pinman (Pinman) on Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:27 pm: Edit Post

They have lost their sharp edge IMO- compare the earlier tours with this one. They are taking it for granted that they can lock it in at will but they can't. I've been listening to the shows from this tour and they are not performed very well 80-90% of the time. Plus they are charging higher ticket prices. Buffalo is almost $60 with the fees added in. They are going to have to convince me to drop the dough and go. Basic rythmn section grooves are loose, even JK is missing some key notes and changes, and Bobby's vocals are even more flat and off key than ever. You guys are professional musicians- rehearsing is part of the job. Nuff said. Now go practice and let's rock n' roll!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elaine Rosemary (Rosemary) on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 06:58 pm: Edit Post

Bobby's been taking a lot of harsh words around here. I love Bob Weir & his sound is never flat or off key to my ears. Keep rockin Bobby, I will always dig your sound!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bron-Yr-Aur (Bd_shot) on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 08:44 pm: Edit Post

I think you are following the band. Perhaps the Grateful Dead never were meant for you? I hear Styx is touring...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 08:46 am: Edit Post

Honestly, I don't think that $60 is a bad price, and I'm by no means rich.
The vocal flubs are a (to my mind) charming part of the Dead family experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elaine (Rosemary) on Thursday, October 13, 2011 - 09:09 am: Edit Post

You're so right man. I don't want to hear it same every time. I love it when they change it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zonerella 13 (Queenbapproximately) on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:17 am: Edit Post

I disagree. I think they sound great and are raising the intensity with every tour. They're adding new tunes, have special guests sitting in and are changing up the way they did some of the GD tunes. What more do you want?

Tickets are pricey for everything. A lot of the ticket fees, especially in NY, are high.

Each show is a great time waiting to be had and worth the dough in my opinion. Can't wait for the next show.

Oh, and I love Bob, too. After 40 years of touring, he's not too shabby. Still putting his heart into it. Go see some of the other musicians who have been touring for 30+ yrs and you'll see they're playing the same set night after night with not a lot of enthusiasm.

(I think about half of my comments on here are defending these guys - sheesh! It's becoming a part-time job.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Elaine (Rosemary) on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 10:28 am: Edit Post

I totally relate! I spend a lot of time defending Bobby as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Edward Weber (Eddieboy) on Saturday, October 15, 2011 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

Good point Zonerella! I just listened to last years New Years Eve show,and it sounded great! Unfortunately some guy was trying to pick up on me the whole show,but I like women,so he kind of ruined the show for me. Most of the time when I go to a live concert,I have to hear a recording later on to make my fair judgement of the whole thing. I dig Furthur,but don't go every time they come,because I can't afford to,but I also want to keep it special. I had not seen the band since last New Years Eve when I went to the shows last week at Monterey,and they were very tight from touring! I was afraid they might be tired and burned out,but I don't think that was the case,and when I listen to those beautiful audience recordings that gentleman put up on Archive.org,it confirms what I felt. New Years Eve has gone up a lot in price this year,but I think I am going to go anyway,love Eddieboy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neal C (Bbgd4fun) on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 07:15 pm: Edit Post

Those who can play, play.
Those who can't play, criticize.
You're entitled to your opinion. Here's mine...the core four and all they've done for music and the soul is amazing. And they still bring it. All these nit picking folks must just be pretty self focused. It's a living, breathing community and it isn't always perfect, but it usually is, and when it is there is nothing that can compare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By aardvark van doozer (Slackary) on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:11 am: Edit Post

I'd fly back from Europe to chase the core four around no matter what they were called or who else was playing with them. The drummers-less Furthur just isn't as compelling for me no matter what they're doing. It's more than just the musical differences, it's what it means to see what's left of the boys together on stage. Gone are the days indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kash (Bluetrainsugaree) on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 11:26 pm: Edit Post

I really think the band should be rehearsing if they're not. I understand that when they're on the road touring that it may not be practical, so during their break over the last few weeks would have been a great time for it. There are some songs that the fans haven't heard for many years and would love for them to bring some of those old skeletons out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 08:39 am: Edit Post

I'm reasonably certain that they rehearse between tours, if for no other reason that there are USUALLY a few new or "dusted off" tunes each new tour leg.
That said, i've been listening to the last RR run lately. I was there (and enjoyed myself), but things seemed a bit off-kilter. It was probably the RR run of FURTHUR's that I found the least compelling.
I'm looking forward to St. Louis, though! The Fox is a COOL theatre!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: