Reason & Rhyme vs Patchwork River

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Reason & Rhyme vs Patchwork River
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B (Kuznjohn) on Friday, August 05, 2011 - 10:33 pm: Edit Post

Gotta say that the new Lauderdale/Hunter effort doesn't take me there like Patchwork. I think the bluegrass format doesn't work for Robert and wheareas Patchwork may be without a weak track, I can only connect with 3 off the new one; Not Let You Go, Jack Dempsey's Crown and the title cut. Seems like county, country/blues leaves more room for his subtlety/magic. Any Opinions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MoJo Smile (Purplehaines) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 06:54 am: Edit Post

I prefer headed for the hills over both albums mentioned but prefer reason and rhyme over patchwork mainly because i like bluegrass music more than country. patchwork lyrically is much stronger though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B Weir I love cheese (Jklowan) on Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 02:02 pm: Edit Post

I would agree that Patchwork is better the lyrics on Reason is kinda lame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B (Kuznjohn) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 02:10 pm: Edit Post

And I'm not knocking Jim's Bluegrass efforts. I really like his Bluegrass Diaries from 2007, it's just that it seems like the wrong fit for Hunter.... Is Headed For The Hills closer the Patchwork in style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MoJo Smile (Purplehaines) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 06:26 pm: Edit Post

yes it is, in that it's not bluegrass. the melodies are sublime and the lyrics really hit home.I had to take that album off the rotation for a while cause i played the hell out of it. "head for the sun" is probably one of the best songs to come across these ears in a long time. don't hesitate to buy that album,i think you'll agree that it's the best of the three collaborations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B (Kuznjohn) on Friday, August 12, 2011 - 07:14 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Purplehaines. JB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 01:22 pm: Edit Post

Patchwork River is so good its hard to compare to any other album. Reason and Rhyme is Bluegrass and Patchwork is country/rock. With that said, I love all three albums and recommend buying Reason and Rhyme. "Headed for the Hills" was meant to be "acoustic", "Patchwork River" was meant to be electric... and Reason and Rhyme is Bluegrass. Don't listen to the critics "aint got time to call your soul a critic NO". Go out and buy the album and find out for yourself. Buy it at http://www.jimlauderdale.com/albums/reason-and-rhy me/#

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B (Kuznjohn) on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 08:49 pm: Edit Post

I support Lauderdale and if he came to New Mexico I'd see him in a heartbeat. Not coming closer than Wyoming this year. Point being, if he continues to put out bluegrass efforts, he'd be better served using Odie Blackman/Melba Montgomery or better, moving up to Sam Bush/ Jerry Douglass and Tony Rice rather than Hunter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Robertson (Cassidy24) on Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 03:40 pm: Edit Post

i liked patchwork river better myself, but the new one is solid too. hunter's lyrics are as good as ever, it's just not as musically rich. i reviewed the new one here- http://www.jambands.com/reviews/cds/2011/08/24/jim -lauderdale-reason-and-rhyme

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B (Kuznjohn) on Friday, September 16, 2011 - 04:59 pm: Edit Post

I'd probably enjoy it more live where the musicians got to spread out a little. It's looking like Headed For The Hills is not quite in circulation. I'll have to get it from an internet site. Yech!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: