Weir's supergroup

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Weir's supergroup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GreggD (Albanygregg) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:05 pm: Edit Post

The current issue of Rolling Stone has a small article that Bob Weir, Chris Robinson and Jackie Greene are forming a new 'supergroup' set to debut at the Rocky Mtn Folks Festival the weekend of 8/19-21. Anybody know any more than that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

It's on that Saturday. They're playing acoustically, I beleieve. Try here: bluegrass.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Bobfan1985) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 06:44 pm: Edit Post

It's an acoustic trio

It's been announced for a few months now

Since it's new, nobody knows anything...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Captain Francis Obvious (Msg_man) on Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 07:29 pm: Edit Post

Jackie, Supergroup, Bwa Ha Ha!

From playing with Phil, back to small bars to Supergroup, Bwa Ha Ha!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GreggD (Albanygregg) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 03:17 am: Edit Post

I know they were all scheduled to play at the Nateva Festival, which has been cancelled. Wondering if they had any other east coast dates planned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Bobfan1985) on Monday, April 18, 2011 - 10:38 am: Edit Post

Jackie and C-Rob have at least one other duo date

Bobby doesn't have anything announced trio wise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sholesh (Shoelesh) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 02:16 am: Edit Post

yea not all that super at all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

I may still go. I think that it would be really cool. Even some of the most fervent Bobby bashers on this zone have admitted that he's been playing and singing really well lately!
Green and Robinson always bring it, too, IHHO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chametzoo (Chametzoo) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 01:55 pm: Edit Post

They should call it "Bob Weir and (Phil's) Friends". But seriously, it sounds like a winner to me... not withstanding that 'supergroup' silliness. The fact that it will be an acoustic trio also a surprise to me. A few years back at some summer Rat Dog shows, I remember enjoying the acoustic pairing of Keller Williams and Bobby.

The fact that Bobby has so embraced many of Phil's musical friends, Warren among them, shows how he and Phil have really come back together as a musical family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Bobfan1985) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 03:12 pm: Edit Post

Besides Jackie and Chris, how many of Phil's "friends" do you think still talk to him?

Herring, no
Headband, no
Ryan Adams, no
Sless, no

And what's more ironic, is that after Phil gave them, and many other "friends" the shaft, they seemed to gravity towards Bobby and sit in with him in some form

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JackStraw (Jackstraw41209) on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 05:27 pm: Edit Post

maybe phils a closet dick head or something. I mean he's my hero but jeff bring up an interesting point. But jeff is a bob fan so we gotta take it at face value face value...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 08:36 am: Edit Post

Jeff and Jackstraw: You guys are joshing, right? "Headlining" musicians do change bands on occasion, correct? "Guns for hire" like Herring also find new people to play with all the time. He has a pretty lucrative gig with Panic. It happens for a variety of reasons: personal conflicts, scheduling conflicts, aesthestic, a desire to get off the road...
Ummm... didn't Larry Campbell show up to play with FURTHUR ar a recent show? He hasn't been a "prhrend" for quite a while.
All those guys you listed will show up and play with Phil at some show somewhere, I would guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chametzoo (Chametzoo) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 09:55 am: Edit Post

Dominic makes a good point. "Phriend" is a loose term in this context. At some point there is a tight musical connection and that's mainly what these relationships are about. If a long term friendship forms out of it, fantastic. There's much many of us don't understand about the life of a working musician.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Bobfan1985) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

I wouldn't guess it.

Remember when Kimock was a friend? And then he got fired and hasn't played with Phil since?

Or when Sless was a friend? Wasn't used much in 06 and hasn't really appeared since 07ish?

So on down the road.

I wouldn't bet the "friends" he axed would appear anytime soon... business is business

That's swell Phil is cool with C-Rob, Larry, Jackie... but there's 10x more who it appears he isn't with

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 11:23 am: Edit Post

You seem to have missed my point, Jeff. Maybe Barry Sless had other obligations. Or, more, likely, he and Phil had a short-term deal to play with. I have no idea whether Kimock really got "fired", or if he chose to move on to something else. He did a whole tour with Ratdog when Mark Karan was ill, so it's not like he was ostracized from the whole Dead family.
Phil has stated (on numerous occasions) that he likes to change the mix of musicians on occasion to keep things "fresh".
Back when P&F was Greene, Molo, Campbell, and Molitz, there was an interview that Phil got all those guys to make a 2 yr commitment to keep that band their first priority. then, when they had "downtime", they could pursue their own projects.
For a professional musician, I would think that would be an ideal situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chametzoo (Chametzoo) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:08 pm: Edit Post

Dominic makes yet another good point. It's not Phil's job to employ for life everyone he's ever played with. Things change... people move on.... it doesn't necessarily mean that there's bad feelings. Musicians get gigs and lose gigs. Phil and Bobbly are in the rare position to be able to play with whoever they want. Now that's an ideal situation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GreggD (Albanygregg) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 04:57 pm: Edit Post

Look how many people have been in Carlo Santana's band over the years. Nothing wrong with keeping it fresh.

Chametzoo - Bobbly really made me laugh for some reason. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl (Cosmiccarl44) on Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 11:58 pm: Edit Post

Actually, Barry Sless played multiple Phil and Friends shows on the 08 Philathon in New York AND took Larry Campbells spot at the New Years Phil/Ratdog show 08/09 because Larry couldnt make it. This being said, Barry Sless actually played the last Phil Lesh and Friends show to date.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chametzoo (Chametzoo) on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 11:23 am: Edit Post

GreggD.... my crazy fingers on the keyboard made you laugh. Excellent! A typo of course, but..... Maybe this should be Bobby's new nickname on Philzone? "Bobbly".... it kind of fits his perpetual 'falling off the edge' persona.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GreggD (Albanygregg) on Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

I was at that Nokia show last year before Vibes.

He was definitely Bobbly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seaside Zoo (Turtle) on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 02:47 pm: Edit Post

bobfan is a stupid new troll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr.Tofu Head (Shakedown63) on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 05:43 pm: Edit Post

bobfan seems to want us to think he seems to know a lot about the personal relationships between musicians, who's talkin' to who and all that shit..... all that wannabe bullshit. blech!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sigmund Freud (Dr_freud_ph_d) on Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 07:48 pm: Edit Post

wave, mr Jeff (Bobfan1985), you seem ton manifesting dilusions that you acres at more insider.
tell ME about your involvment with mr lesh, omit emergency-hung

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff (Bobfan1985) on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:22 am: Edit Post

oic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald T. Rump (Jerryc) on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 06:31 pm: Edit Post

Weir will be playing a Ramble this summer. I wonder if he'll be bringing this group?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Z (Zang) on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 09:18 pm: Edit Post

I gotta agree....with Bobfan. Been watching this one for while. It does seem like there are fallouts with people, not just shifts in direction. typically there a re stories with the changes (Herring, kimock and haynes come to mind) but are they just stories?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John (Dubstar) on Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 10:46 pm: Edit Post

"Besides Jackie and Chris, how many of Phil's "friends" do you think still talk to him?

Ryan Adams, no"

sure, that's why phil wrote the afterward to neal's cardinal book...you might have also missed the two nokia shows RA sat in on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SOLD! ;) (2dankdan) on Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 08:51 pm: Edit Post

CRAPMOCK needed to be fired from Phil & Friends!

He was ruining the jams with his mono-tone playing.

CRAPMOCK SUCKS!!!!! :-)

Ok, I feel better now.

Haynes went back to being a front man for the Allmans, Mule & The Dead.

Herring bounced to Panic.

Sless has been in and out since 7/2/1998!

You forgot the Phish guys that where in the 1st Phil band also back in 97 or 98.

Phil might be hard to work with or for, but how many of us aren't??

I love that he changed his line-up. All except splitting up the "Q"! :-(

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: