Best Furthur show EVER?!

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Best Furthur show EVER?!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Todd Amodeo (Toddamo) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 10:57 am: Edit Post

I haven't kept up with this band at all. I've been hearing some nice things and I'm curious to see where they're at.

Can someone please recommend a strong show to download from archive?

Is there some stand out night?

I'm particularly looking for a show with a lot of group improvisation.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 11:33 am: Edit Post

Any show played in Colorado!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Highway Terror (James) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 02:06 pm: Edit Post

this whole spring run has been pretty darn good !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Franklin's_Child (Franklins_child) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 03:38 pm: Edit Post

9.25.2010 Red Rocks Saturday night one of the best show this band has played.
http://www.archive.org/details/Furthur2010-09-25.C -463

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HeatherB (Heatherb) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 05:34 pm: Edit Post

As was just recently pointed out to me by a fellow zoner - Portland 3/8/10 is outrageous.

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-08.b ehringer-c2.weber.106803.flac16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By We Travel the Spaceways (Sunra) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 06:39 pm: Edit Post

That Philly show from last July willth the Terrapin Suite was nice from start to finish. Much talk of that one.

Also, this past Saturday 3-19-11 whenever it's upped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 6 (Drumsspacevt) on Thursday, March 24, 2011 - 09:28 pm: Edit Post

Wallingford 12/11/09.

First Furthur show I saw and still the best. Seen a dozen since and listened to more. I'm sticking with Wallingford 2009, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By N (Drummistdog) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 02:33 am: Edit Post

12/31/09 SF is a stand out. Check out 7/7/10 Ottawa,Canada. Bob was detained at the border coming in and the set list tells a tale. 11/20-21/10 at MSG too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PHarmer (Mattyb) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 03:16 am: Edit Post

Oh for gods sakes be a real head sack up and listen to every show of the tours on LMA. Then decide for yourself and tell the rest of us what the best Furthur show was/is. It is the PhilZone way....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BTinVT (Lazyriverbob) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 11:51 am: Edit Post

I'm with you, sixer. Oakdale Theater, Wallingford Dec. 11, '09 was a great one!

I think they may have played one of the only Strawberry Fields Forever, (Furthur, that is), at that show. Not that that's a big deal, but it was a neat surprise, and played really well, in the middle of that second set Dark Star, St Stephen, The Eleven type stuff. It all sort of blended together well...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By the hammer (Gratefulhead) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 12:02 pm: Edit Post

St. Louis last year (11-11-10) was a great show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stlmohead (Unclejohn) on Friday, March 25, 2011 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

+1 for the St. Louis show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bzl (Bzlrbi) on Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 11:55 am: Edit Post

I'm going with the Garden shows in November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By I'm uncle sam (Drpsilocybo) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 05:13 pm: Edit Post

Asbury Park, NJ December 13, 2009

my first and my favorite furthur show

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Call For Me And I Will Be There (Canyon) on Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 06:09 pm: Edit Post

I listened to 3.27.11 today and was just blown away definitely my favorite Furthur show so far "on tape". Phil's 70th is still the best I've attended, if that counts, since it was billed Furthur & Friends, if not, then the first night of the Furthur Fest 5.28.10...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric (Iworkforwine) on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 05:59 pm: Edit Post

Of the "tapers dozen" Furthur shows I have seen, my top three are:

> 3-27-11 (will go down as one of the great Furthur shows! You give me FEVER!)
> 3-6-10
> 11-13-10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By shakedown (Shakedownst14) on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 06:06 pm: Edit Post

OK, yes, yes, all the shows are "good"...I've yet to experience a bad show. Are people biased by their special experiences? Of course. Myself included.
My vote: 9.25.2010 Red Rocks, Saturday show. I was there and biased by the venue and all the rest, but do believe the energy and tight playing really were standout. I was also at 3.27.11...fun, special, groovy...but in my humble opinion, nowhere close to 9.25.2010.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By suffles (Aiko841) on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:55 am: Edit Post

"That Philly show last summer" was 7-11-10 at the Mann Music Center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Franklin's_Child (Franklins_child) on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 02:30 pm: Edit Post

Why is this show not on the archive?

11/19/2010 DCU Center, Worcester, MA
I: Alligator > Cream Puff War > Althea, Mississippi Half-Step, Brown-Eyed Women > Bird Song > Turn On Your Lovelight, Casey Jones

II: Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion, In the Midnight Hour, Nobody Girl > China Doll, New Speedway Boogie > Mountains of the Moon > A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Scarlet Begonias > Fire on the Mountain
E: Ripple

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M F (Rawlest) on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 04:09 pm: Edit Post

I would say MSG 11/20/2010

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-11-20.s uraci.akg.sbeok.flac16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By waiting for shows in the west (Cachesoul) on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 05:38 pm: Edit Post

3/6/10

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By GreggD (Albanygregg) on Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 02:11 pm: Edit Post

I went to 8 shows on the spring tour and can not pick a best show, they were all really good. Have to say 3/27 was special with the wonderful guests and Radio City being a great venue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HeatherB (Heatherb) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 05:43 pm: Edit Post

Add Binghamton to the list, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W T (Bill) Brina (Bill_brina) on Monday, April 04, 2011 - 11:34 pm: Edit Post

Yes. Binghamton was a very musically satisfying experience. As was Sunday the 6th at the Orpheum, Tuesday the 8th in Wallingford, and Saturday the 26th at RCMH (the Owsley memorial show). Sunday the 27th at Radio City had its moments, but also had its clunkers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Connor (Spartan) on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 02:00 pm: Edit Post

I like 2nd night of MSG and 7/5/2010 Sherman Theater...the one that was rescheduled from Vermont.

Those two stand out in my mind of the 15+ I have seen.

And really with that DCU Center show? I thought the first set was great, but the 2nd was a let down...pretty poor Scarlet>Fire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By christopherlee (Smokingun) on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:39 am: Edit Post

07/11/ 2010 was something special- 2nd set was themed to the eclipse that took place that night. one of those truly special " present" moments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dupree (Lafoo) on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 03:35 pm: Edit Post

I agree Wallingford '09 was excellent and my favorite out of the 5 shows I attended. The Good Morning Little Schoolgirl took some wind out of the sails but everything else played was solid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scotty-O (Scottieo) on Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 12:36 am: Edit Post

OK, I have only seen Furthur 4 times now, so there's no way I can say what their best shoe ever was.

However, I was at the Fairfax show on St. Patrick's day, and it was one of the best times I've ever had at a post-Jerry show.

I'll start with my request for the show, which I actually joined the FB hoping the band would see:

http://furthur.net/forum/music-talk/48-to-furthur- -an-open-invitation-again

I joined as sleepyalligator and requested a "Whiskey in the Jar" for SP Day. The thread continued with other people quoting Jerry and the boys and what they said during the rehearsal found on the "So Many Roads" box set.

So, I went to the show and what did they open with? "Alligator"

New Minglewood was next, followed by my request,"Whiskey in the Jar", which the GD never played live.

As if that wasn't enough, they managed to sneak whiskey into the first five songs:

1. Alligator- "Call for his whiskey"
2. New Minglewood- Couple shots of whiskey...
3. Whiskey in the Jar
4. Dire Wolf- Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey
5. Candyman- Hand me my old guitar, pass the whiskey round

I truly believe Furthur read my post and answered my "call". So this was definitely the best Furthur show I"VE seen.

p.s that doesn't even cover the Weather Report + Terrapin Suites we got in the 2nd set.

Full setlist :

Patriot Center
3/17/11

Alligator>
New Minglewood
Whiskey In The Jar
Direwolf
Candyman
You Never Give Me Your Money Piano Tease>
Piano Solo>
Two Djinn
Pride Of Cucamonga>
Deal

Set 2

Weather Report Suite>
Fire On The Mountain>
Cumberland Blues
Throwing Stones>
Terrapin Station Suite>
Standing On The Moon>
Feelin' Alright

E: Liberty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will (Gratefulgravesmn) on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 03:26 am: Edit Post

pure music envelope pushing... furthur fest sound check the first night. ive see a good portion of these shows people are suggesting but that "sound check " show was the bees knees.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: