Duane allman

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Duane allman
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:53 pm: Edit Post

i'm too young to have seen skydog live, but i'd love to hear any stories anyone has about seeing the original allmans...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Highway Terror (James) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:08 am: Edit Post

never saw him live but he's probably the best slide player i've ever heard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W T (Bill) Brina (Bill_brina) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:26 am: Edit Post

Had the chance to hear the original Allman Brothers Band live half a dozen times (fall 1970-Sept. 1971). Got to meet them all and hang out with them one afternoon in June 1971: an outdoor show at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY. Great band; interesting bunch of guys. Duane was clearly the leader. Very bright guy, totally self educated but knowledgeable about many things. As was Berry Oakley. IMHO, most recitations of the band's history tend to neglect Berry's musical and leadership contributions. In a certain sense, he was the "Phil" to Duane's "Jerry", the main difference being that Duane Allman, unlike Jerry Garcia, was not at all afraid to lead. It's fascinating to wonder how the band would have continued to grow and evolve had those two not perished so tragically, and at such a young age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 02:52 am: Edit Post

you're one lucky guy Bill. Thanks for sharing.... and how was dickey betts back then? I've often wondered about his relationship to the band back then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bunk (Jocomo) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:17 am: Edit Post

Saw the original ABB twice--at fillmore west in Jan 1970 as an opener for BB King & Buddy Guy--wow

2nd time in 71 about 3 weeks before Duane died--closing their west coast swing at Winterland--a powerhouse performance---they were on top of the rock world by that time. Great show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Ferbel (Nyced) on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:22 am: Edit Post

saw the abb on 12/26/69 fillmore for the first of a few times, blown away by duane, however abb was not so apolitly asked to leave the stage by the crowd, who were there to see bs &t, not one of uncle bill's better billings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W T (Bill) Brina (Bill_brina) on Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 02:05 am: Edit Post

When I first saw the Allman Brothers Band, Dickey Betts was already fully developed as a brilliant guitarist and composer but not at all as a stage presence or personality. He seemed reticent, both onstage and off, and very much deferred to Duane and Berry. As, I might add, did Gregg. There seemed to be a much clear sense of hierarchy around the ABB. Not imposed, just natural.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Back Roads (Gratefulwood) on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 10:39 pm: Edit Post

Video of Duane,there's 7 parts.
Footage from The Love Festival Festival, 7-17-70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3VCf1dvq0

Also stuff from Fillmore East - 09/23/1970
look at other SlowhandFender videos for more from that show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MRGWnPPIU&feature =related

Good site,you can check out stuff Duane did in the studio, (look at released tracks,unreleased tracks and unconfirmed tracks);

http://www.duaneallman.info/index1.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie McD (Olhobo) on Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 02:56 pm: Edit Post

Caught Duane once friends had seen them open for Johnny winter blew me away show was at manhattan ballroom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris chase (Riv) on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 09:01 am: Edit Post

Loved his jamming with the Dead on 4/26.71...

Grateful Dead w/ Duane Allman - It Hurts Me Too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgPV9DFkQFs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 02:42 pm: Edit Post

thanks for the link chris - pretty damn good...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: