Top five country blues guitarists?

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Top five country blues guitarists?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 12:43 am: Edit Post

1. mississippi john hurt
2. blind boy fuller
3. son house
4. blind lemon jefferson
5. blind blake

"i just got to have my lovin' spoonful."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 08:38 am: Edit Post

By country blues, do you mean players known primarily for their acoustic prowess? If so, it's hard to argue with any of your choices.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:40 am: Edit Post

yeh, acoustic blues

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bluetrain (Bluetrain) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 11:51 am: Edit Post

Great choices. I would try to find room for Lightning Hopkins in there somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:27 pm: Edit Post

blind willie johnson should be somewhere there, as shouod be kelly joe phelps....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Highway Terror (James) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

robert johnson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bluetrain (Bluetrain) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:13 pm: Edit Post

Charlie Patton...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:20 pm: Edit Post

really can't get into robert johnson... his licks have been copied repeadedtly by just about every subsequent blues guitarist he seems to have lost his charm, for me...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:24 pm: Edit Post

Bukka White?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By on paper (Dave_c) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:43 pm: Edit Post

Nice list Konlesh.

I'd include Ishman Bracey too.

Just because Robert Johnson's licks have been endlessly copied, shouldn't invalidate his inclusion, as I see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By _ (Verve13) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:51 pm: Edit Post

I would agree with your list although I am not as familiar with Blind Boy Fuller as I am ther others.

Don't forget the good Reverend, Gary Davis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By on paper (Dave_c) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:05 pm: Edit Post

Good call on Rev. Gary Davis, Verve!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Grande (Jimgrande) on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 07:49 pm: Edit Post

jorma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:48 am: Edit Post

Weir actually took a few guitar lessons from Rev. Gary back in the day. I read about it in an old "Guitar Player" interview.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:49 am: Edit Post

How about Bukka White? Keb Mo is a bit "poppy" and polished, but he's a good player, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bluetrain (Bluetrain) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 10:27 am: Edit Post

Kon, your remarks about Robert Johnson remind me of my thoughts about Charlie Parker. Since I learned jazz kind of haphazardly and backward in a lot of cases, by the time I got to Parker it was hard to see what the big deal was. I was talking once with a guy then in his seventies who was around when Parker was alive and he was saying how revolutionary Parker had sounded in the 40's, and I said that I had never heard him as being all that revolutionary since I had heard him after I'd absorbed Coltrane, Art Pepper, and lots of his disciples. I love Parker but he's never struck me as the groundbreaker he was for those who were around to first hear him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 03:07 pm: Edit Post

By Dominic (Dominic) on Tuesday, December 07, 2010 - 08:49 am: Edit Post
How about Bukka White? Keb Mo is a bit "poppy" and polished, but he's a good player, too.

>> Gotta chgeck out more Bukka White, but really not into Keb Mo. In my opinion, the top contemporary acoustic guitarist who plays in a country blues style is Kelly Joe Phelps. Very under rated and not too well known. Check out the following video, which i've posted before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLKCMfL0TQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By pinman (Pinman) on Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 09:45 pm: Edit Post

Van Manakas

http://www.puremusic.com/manakas.html

http://www.amazon.com/American-Guitar-Van-Manakas/ dp/B00004Z3RV

http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/leavin-tennesse-bu tch-baldassari-and-van-manakas/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ant man bee (Lobosfan) on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 11:16 am: Edit Post

don't forgat Big Bill Broonzy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cachesoul (Imthemostdead) on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 12:57 pm: Edit Post

Brownie Mcghee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mp (Mp51) on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

let's not forget furry lewis either!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bluetrain (Bluetrain) on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 11:33 pm: Edit Post

Sleepy John Estes

"Gotta a handful of gimme and a mouthful of much obliged."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greasyheart (Greasyheart) on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 04:12 pm: Edit Post

Its all the about the good Reverand Gary Davis for me. Other cats at the top of the heap are:

1) Tampa Red
2) Blind Blake
3) Mississippi John Hurt
4) Lightnin Hopkins
5) Skip James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craze (Craze) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:15 pm: Edit Post

Catfish keith is fun. Eclectic player.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:54 pm: Edit Post

John Hammond, Jr!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By DarkHollow (Aws) on Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:11 pm: Edit Post

I agree with most of the suggestions above. Hard to compare them all to each other though.

Glad that Son House made it too. Don't think he's THE best, but he's a personal favorite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. T Party (Jerryc) on Friday, January 07, 2011 - 04:18 pm: Edit Post

Checkout Johnny Hiland.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob W (Freak) on Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:19 pm: Edit Post

Bobby Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey B. (Hoosierdude) on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 02:04 am: Edit Post

Honorable Mention: Jack Pearson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bowman (Cabin) on Friday, February 11, 2011 - 06:59 pm: Edit Post

"The Mississippi Delta, was shinin like a national guitar" So many forgotten and under appreciated olditme/blues guitarists...Great thread!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By memphis mike (Rogerdodger) on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 04:33 pm: Edit Post

check out richard johnston. he's a one man band that plays great country blues.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: