Robert Hunter & Jim Lauderdale's Fantastic CD

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Robert Hunter & Jim Lauderdale's Fantastic CD
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 01:04 pm: Edit Post

Last night I saw Jim Lauderdale at the City Winery in NYC. He did songs from his most recent collaboration with Robert Hunter "Patchwork River" where Hunter wrote all the lyrics. The show was great but if you didn't already buy it you have to get the CD. It is the best album of 2010! Buy it at http://store.dead.net/music/patchwork-river-jim-la uderdale-cd
Robert Hunter has said that Jim Lauderdale is the best interpreter of his songs since Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cosmicC (Charliem) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 03:48 pm: Edit Post

I like several of the tracks on that CD a lot, especially the first 3 or 4 cuts, some of the others not so much. Ever since I bought it, I have thought that Furthur could probably do an interesting version of Jawbone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 05:01 pm: Edit Post

I have the first (?) Lauderdale one that Hunter did lyrics for. It also had Ralph Stanley. I like it a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 09:57 am: Edit Post

The first album they did with Hunter writing all the lyrics was Headed for the Hills. All the songs are also great on that one but my favorite was Sandy Ford(Barbara Lee)I convinced Jim Lauderdale to perform that at the City winery last Tuesday. It reminds some people a little bit of Jack O' Roses.
Cosmic C, All the songs on "Patchwork River" eventually grow on you. I love "Good together", "Alligator Alley" and "up my sleeve".
Dominic, the songs Jim wrote for Ralph Stanley are great. Jim and Hunter have finished a Bluegrass album together that should be out in 2011. But make sure you buy "Patchwork River" to support Hunter/Lauderdale so they'll keep making albums together. buy the cd at http://store.dead.net/music/patchwork-river-jim-la uderdale-cd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 10:05 am: Edit Post

http://store.dead.net/music/patchwork-river-jim-la uderdale-cd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic (Dominic) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:23 am: Edit Post

Thanks for the info, Mr Grateful!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By niarfoxob (Niarfoxob) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 09:28 pm: Edit Post

can't wait can't to get my hands on that

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Highway Terror (James) on Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:02 pm: Edit Post

thanks for the link !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cosmicC (Charliem) on Friday, November 05, 2010 - 03:48 pm: Edit Post

Mr. Grateful,

The rest of the songs did grow on me a little, and I agree that the 3 you mentioned are excellent tunes. I am still partial to the first few cuts (which includes Alligator Alley and Good Together). I bought it shortly after it came out, and have probably listened to it a dozen times or more. Some songs deeper in the disc I usually skip now, but all in all I think it is a really good album. Some of the best new lyrics Hunter has done, to my ear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 03:31 pm: Edit Post

I agree!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 02:25 pm: Edit Post

This album would make a great Christmas gift! Everyone I know who owns the cd, loves it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr Grateful (Mrgratefu) on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 12:17 pm: Edit Post

Jam Band online # 5 album of the year.
http://jambandsonline.com/2010/12/its-almost-the-e nd-of-the-year-and-jbo-reviews-the-best-cds-for-20 10/

5. Jim Lauderdale, Patchwork River Ė If there is a lyricist of the year, it is the Grateful Deadís Robert Hunter, who co-wrote this entire collection with country and bluegrass master Jim Lauderdale. Their second full CD together (another is in the works, thankfully), Lauderdale and Hunter are excellent foils for each otherís talents. It is American roots music, but there is a mildly psychedelic glow to the whole affair. Lauderdale may not have the kind of name recognition he deserves, but to those in the know he is adored as a singer and song crafter. He has his way with melody the way Hunter has his with mixed metaphors, and his voice (like his demeanor) is honey sweet. A deeply American collection of rootsy Americana rock and balladry (as Blair Jackson has pointed out, the ground covered in these originals runs from south Florida to Memphis to Louisville to New York City to El Dorado), this album features love songs, road tunes and reflections on impermanence, among other things, in a collection without any weak spots

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: