Recommend me some new music !?

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Recommend me some new music !?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By 13013 (Phonk_beta) on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 04:52 pm: Edit Post

Im kind of stuck in a rut

Mainly listening to either Dubstep , Current reggae stuff , Some Jazz [new John Abercrombie , etc] or really cheesy bands like Maktub or Two Ton Shoe or Gangster shit [Brother lynch Hung]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Ferbel (Nyced) on Sunday, January 10, 2010 - 05:16 pm: Edit Post

real estate--been described as psychidelic surf, not sure i agree but i love the record

death-on the shelf since 1975, 3 black brothers from detroit and it sound like detoit rock of that era

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Whitman Mayo (Grady) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 02:22 pm: Edit Post

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John (Thetrigzone) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 07:41 pm: Edit Post

How about Phil and Friends? Furthur?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By neggie vibes (Okra) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 08:09 pm: Edit Post

hauntologists mimimalist techno that's not too fast and I like

to DL some music:
http://mnmlssg.blogspot.com/2009/11/mnml-ssgs-mx41 -hauntologists-vs-cheap.html
http://www.cheapanddeep.net/

Cymande -- UK west indian funksters circa 72-73
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3Ds0JABsM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ___________________WINO__ (Spatlese) on Monday, January 11, 2010 - 10:41 pm: Edit Post

Mars Volta
mv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By howitzer (Jocomo) on Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:22 am: Edit Post

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By unabetted to furthur (Purplehaines) on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 06:33 pm: Edit Post

Jim White

P

great album!

i bought three other albums of mr whites after hearing it.
drill a hole in that substrate, no such place,
and wronged eyed jesus.

great talent and a great addition to my music collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By LeshisBest (Sully72) on Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 08:48 pm: Edit Post

Dengue Fever. American band with Cambodian female singer that plays 1960s Cambodian rock and roll. Dig it.

The DVD they put out (forgot the title) that documents their first trip to Cambodia is awesome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By beast (Bjm2007) on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:06 pm: Edit Post

^^^
the dvd is sleepwalking though the mekong.

fucking awesome band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MissuGRATEFULdead (Dazebtween) on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:26 pm: Edit Post

cult cargo grand bahama goombay

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ............... (Speedlimit) on Friday, January 15, 2010 - 05:30 pm: Edit Post

The Cat Empire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By can't we all just get along (Muppet) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 03:21 am: Edit Post

Mars Retrieval Unit

http://marsretrievalunit.com/

http://www.archive.org/details/MarsRetrievalUnit

http://www.myspace.com/marsretrievalunit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sycamore Frozen Wasteland Slough (Disco_stu) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 04:22 am: Edit Post

Beechwood Sparks
"Once We Were Trees"

You'll dig it -- it's groovy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ant man bee (Lobosfan) on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 08:06 am: Edit Post

bb
^^ ^^

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WaterWheel (Ill_follow_the_sun) on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 09:06 pm: Edit Post

John Ambercrombie NIGHT is a great album.
Marc Johnson Bass LInes is killer too.
Miles Davis- In A Silent Way
Praxis- Transmutation
Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3- Ole Tarantula
The Libertines-""
God, I could go forever, but check these out and follow through with their influences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John (Dubstar) on Friday, January 22, 2010 - 09:56 pm: Edit Post

felice brothers

robyn hitchcock - I often dream of trains live in NYC

60s / 70s Studio One rocksteady and reggae

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hexagon Sun = 6 (Drumsspacevt) on Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 09:07 am: Edit Post

Pantha du Prince - Black Noise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By fela kuti (Felakuti) on Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:52 pm: Edit Post

One Word ---- FELA !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:27 pm: Edit Post

anything by Kelly Joe Phelps - not new, but a sadly under appreciated musician. Here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aSCeN01BFA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bluetrain (Bluetrain) on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 05:41 pm: Edit Post

I love Kelly Joe Phelps. Great player. Great songwriter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Konlesh (Konlesh) on Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 08:21 pm: Edit Post

Damn straight, Bluetrain! Check out that video if you haven't already. He's also one the most super nice, humble guys you'll ever meet.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mona (Mona) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:40 pm: Edit Post

Willy Porter-
How I robbed the bank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mona (Mona) on Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:50 pm: Edit Post

Re- Willy Porter, Check out How to Rob a Bank- on Willy's myspace page.

Loved him at Joes Pub
http://www.myspace.com/willyporter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By leshwatt (Leshwatt) on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 08:29 pm: Edit Post

The Dirtbombs
Compay Segundo
Issa Bagayogo
Unknown Instructors
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob H. (Elevenfour) on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 10:39 pm: Edit Post

If you like Jazz Piano then check out Eldar.
He's a young guy in his early 20's but it
sounds like he's been playing a long time.
He just goes by his first name Eldar. I've
seen him at yoshi's 3 times in the last several
years and he didn't disapoint. He even likes to hang
out and talk with fans before and after his shows.
I hear elements of Brubeck, Peterson and Tatum
in his playing yet he has his own sound

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Ferbel (Nyced) on Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 07:39 am: Edit Post

major stars

citay

both have a few cd's out but theie 2010 releases are great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WeWantPhil (Wewantphil) on Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 11:55 pm: Edit Post

I don't know new, but I know good...

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street
Sublime - Sublime
Beatles - Revolver, Abbey Road
Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert. If you like that you'll love Solo Concerts
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (by strategy).
Old and In The Way - Old and In The Way
Garcia - Garcia
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
WATCH Pink Floyd's The Wall movie
Watch The Band - The Last Waltz
Watch Rolling Stones - Shine a Light.
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother is pretty interesting.
Jimi Hendrix - Electric LadyLand
Dylan - Blood on the tracks
Neil Young - live rust You can also watch the DVD of that one. For 20 years I didn't even know it was a film.
Ella Fitzgerald - The Best Of The Songbooks (if the entire 16 CD Box Set it too much for you. Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, etc, etc. I like 'em all but Ella absolutely slays me. I think she was the best ever.

Hopefully some of this old shit will be new to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MurrayC (Murrayc) on Friday, March 26, 2010 - 02:00 am: Edit Post

check out the greatest Bluegrass band ever-The Seldom Scene. They play a version of Rider that is unreal.Been around since '71 and still touring. Simply great!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cdog - GreatWavesOfChangeDOTorg (Fan_of_greatwavesofchangeorg) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:40 am: Edit Post

I'm pretty big right now on some of this:

-Blitzen Trapper
Furr, Destroyer of the Void, Wild Mtn Nation albums
blitzentrapper.net new mp3 for free there: Heaven & Earth
a GD'eseque and similar in sound to GD Indie rock/folk out of Portland, OR their shit is fucking awesome, new album out late May '10, if you want new rockish sounding, w/ soaring 3 part harmonies, and incredibly poignant and well written lyrics, (like GD) check these guys out. I swear, Eric Earley may be one of a few legitimate Robert Hunter like writers out there, plus their live shows are phenomenal and so full of passion. many great shows on archive.org >> live music archive

-Mike Gordon, Green Sparrow album
ridiculously good Gordo album, easily fave solo work of any phish member. also a 2 live CD's he did, 1 fr. Boulder is hot

-Alison Brown Quartet Rewind, ABQ, other albums
if you like banjo and jazz, and reflective instrumentals and uptempo bebop like raging ragtime sounding jazz, check this lady out. 1 of my all time fave artists!!
her website is: compassrecords.com >> look under artists

-Miles Davis Tribute to Jack Johnson fusion, so good

-Medeski Martin and Wood Shackman, Combustication, Tonic-live albums jazz trio from NYC incredible chops and telepathic playing.

-Grant Lee Buffalo Mighty Joe Moon album
& Grant Lee Phillips Virginia Creeper album

If you can only get one of the 2, get the MJM album.
Super powerful, spiritual, healing and full of heart ache, redemption, celebration and some heavy subject matter even. This is folk music with rock pieces and unbelievable harmonic structures, breath taking dynamic changes, and for me, ended up being one of the best things I took out of my college years was MJM. A standalone classic, a sing along heart cleanser.

-Phil Lesh There and Back Again album

-Grateful Dead Dicks Picks (live) 12, 9, 8, 14 for starters
stuido: American Beauty, Workingman's, Wake of, In the Dark, Terrapin for starters

Axiom of Choice Niya Yesh, Unfolding albums
incredibly powerful, soaring middle eastern womens vocals and trance like drum rhythms w/ guitar and other

Anoushka Shankar Rise album
Ravi's daughter, great music with sitar.
Another album with Karsh Kale

I've found that the world music is really shaking me out of my usual music roots and would highly encourage anyone to check out some good world music, Sierra Leone Refuggees, there is so much good world music out there. Really powerful stuff too.

-Fleet Foxes vocal heavy Indie band out of Seattle area
classic NW pastoral sound

-Yo La Tengo classic indie rock forefathers
have incredible atmospheric and slow tempo chill stuff besides the typical rockers.

let us know how it goes with some of these suggestions, or feel free to ask follow up if anyone has any comment on what I put up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By cdog - GreatWavesOfChangeDOTorg (Fan_of_greatwavesofchangeorg) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 02:44 am: Edit Post

p.s.

more music sharing threads like this i think would be excellent...smithers.

i am all about what other Heads are currently loving for timely and heart felt and passionately played music!

so if this one dies, lets keep making more threads about great music

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By _ (Verve13) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 08:31 am: Edit Post

Stuck on my Record Store Day purchases

Bonnie Prince Billy - Wonder Show Of The World
Dead Meadow - Three Kings
Bill Callahan - Rough Travel For a Rare Thing (live 2 x vinyl only release)
Deerhunter - Microcastle
Buck Owens - Ruby
Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
V/A - Sub Pop Casual Nostalgia Fest live comp.
V/A - Secret Museum of Mankind: Ethnic Classics 1925 - 1948 (need to get more from this series)
Beach House - Zebra 12"
Fela Kuti - live 10"
Nels Cline Singer - Initiate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James T. (James) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 09:33 am: Edit Post

david nelson band 6/27/09- this is an official sbd release the band is allowing to be d.l.'d for free at archive.org

jimi hendrix-valleys of neptune

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Help's on the Way (Chicagojoe) on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 11:06 pm: Edit Post

Porcupine Tree

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Left My Brain In Broomfield (Gunnarutah) on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 08:37 am: Edit Post

http://funeralsingersfilm.com/

Califone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By the eleven (Bd_shot) on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 03:31 pm: Edit Post

>>>>Porcupine Tree

What albums are the best? Or any live stuff on the net?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Ferbel (Nyced) on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 03:41 pm: Edit Post

she and him vol 2
peter wolf
care bears on fire
len price 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wolfman's Brah (Styles) on Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:55 pm: Edit Post

New band out of Chicago called Sissy Mena, with a new album called Record Machine. Listen to the entire album on their website. Really good rockin' sonic indie music. Almost a 90's throw back sound.

http://SissyMena.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By St. Stephen (Fat_freddys_cat) on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 01:49 am: Edit Post

If ya do heavier stuff...

Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound: When Sweet Sleep Returned

This has been in heavy rotation for me since it came out a couple years ago. Great neo-psychedelic rock from San Francisco.

Graveyard: Hisigen blues
Heavy, intense 70's style psychedelic blues rock from Sweden.

Samasara Blues Experiment: Revelation and Mystery
New album from this great German jam heavy psych/blues power trio.

Wolves in the Throne Room, Celestial Lineage
Atmospheric, transformative, earth conscious Black metal from Olympia, Wa.

Agalloch, The Mantle
Considered Black Metal(?), this Portland band blends beautiful acoustic melodies with dark wintery themes to great effect.

Cave: Neverendless
Modern krautrock (Can, Neu, etc) from Chicago.

Crippled Black Phoenix: I, Vigilante
Floyd-ish modern heavy psych band

Shrinebuilder: s/t
Awesomely heavy psychedelic doom rock band featuring members of Neurosis, Melvins, Sleep, and St. Vitus. Think Sabbath with trancey space grooves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrea (Itsmybirthday) on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 08:32 pm: Edit Post

Anything by the Avett Brothers... They have a ton of fun and are awesome live :-)

The latest Umphrey's Magee is pretty jammy and pretty diverse, move past the first song on the album...

Don't shun me, but the new Black Keys album is also pretty good!!!

Return to your regularly scheduled programming...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By frank wheel (Frankwheel) on Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 11:42 pm: Edit Post

Billie Joe Shaver - never wrote a bad tune

Jamey Johnson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sleeping Less (U_hollis) on Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 11:35 am: Edit Post

Ketchy Shuby
MAYDAY
Fusik

all our Miami brethren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By scott (Lsrider) on Thursday, January 12, 2012 - 12:09 pm: Edit Post

Mostly Other People Do The Killing - New "jazz"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: