Post Jerry JGB Line-up???

Philzone.org - Philzone Phansite Community Discussion Board: Music Talk ONLY!: Music Talk Archive: Post Jerry JGB Line-up???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles (Babaorion) on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:16 pm: Edit Post

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know/remember what the line-up was for JGB circa September, 1997??? I saw them back then, and the only one I know for sure was Seals. I remember the 2 black female vocalists, who could have been Jackie and/or Gloria. I also remember their singer was this tall, skinny white dude, probably in his mid to late forties, who kinda shuffled around the stage. He had a raspy voice, but with a surprising amount of range. Anyway, let me know...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles (Babaorion) on Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:55 pm: Edit Post

Nevermind, I found out. Turns out it was probably the line up from the Welcome to Our World album, which was recording live about a month after I saw them play:

Donny Baldwin drums
Judah Gold guitar
Peter Harris guitar, backing vocals
Gloria Jones backing vocals
Jackie LaBranch backing vocals
Elgin Seals bass
Melvin Seals keyboards, backing vocals
Armin Winter lead vocals, saxophone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jackohearts (Jackohearts) on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 09:45 pm: Edit Post

Saw that line-up in November '97... Pretty sorry stuff mostly. They did do a great Stop that Train though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By sunflower cat (Toreup) on Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:39 pm: Edit Post

I really dig Pete Harris
he had a band called the Mystery cats I think
they played a jerryday or 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Harris (Someco) on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 10:07 pm: Edit Post

That is (was) the correct line-up (above). Armin also played Clarinet in one of my other bands, Django Obscura. It's a totally different line-up now, but still a killer band. Stu Allen is one of the top Jerry guys, IMO. That sure was a blast to be in that band. Everyone who played with Jerry in his band, who was still alive, played in that line-up. So, no Jerry, no John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr.Tofu Head (Shakedown63) on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 03:08 pm: Edit Post

hey Peter, are there any Django Obscura gigs coming up in the bay area? I wanted to check it out when you guys played at Finnegan's in Novato a while back but did not attend. Very interesting concept.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Help's on the Way (Chicagojoe) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:44 pm: Edit Post

JGB without Jerry is like Phil & Freinds without Phil.

Melvin Seals is great and he should stand on his own name like Merl did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr.Tofu Head (Shakedown63) on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:39 pm: Edit Post

^^ I agree, but... Melvin wouldn't make as much coin if he called his band something other than JGB. It is about marketability.

I am not a huge fan of JGB w/o Jerry. Melvin & Stu Allen can play very well, but much of the material gets old after a while.

Unlike the Grateful Dead, whose live repertoire included many original songs, the Jerry Garcia Band played mostly covers. What made a Jerry Garcia Band show magical was Jerry's unique ability to put his signature on great old standard tunes that have been played a zillion times. Jerry Garcia painted the songs electric purple! That is what it was about. Without Jerry, JGB is playing covers of cover songs.

Perhaps if the new JGB concentrated on the Garcia songs in the JGB catalog, i would find it more interesting - songs like Run For The Roses, Cats Under The Stars, and Mission In The Rain, Deal sure. I just don't have much interest in hearing Stu Allen or any other Fake Jerry sing How Sweet It Is, That's What Love Will Make You Do, or Tangled Up In Blue ad nauseam.

Also, and this really irks me: What happened to the real Jerryettes - Jackie La Branch & Gloria Jones? What did Melvin do with them? These new Fake Jerryettes are mediocre. I want the real Jerryettes in JGB. Tell Melvin to re-hire Jackie & Gloria if he wants Mr. Tofu Head's business. Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: